In lieu of a formal post, I decided to let you all know about the Writer’s Digest’s 87th Annual Writing Contest. This has been around for a very long time and it is one of the better writing contests to enter, or so I am told.
Here’s what you need to know!
The Deadline: May 8th, 2018
The Grand Prize:
- $5000 cash.
- An interview in Writer’s Digest
- One-on-one time with four editors or literary agents
- A paid trip to the Writer’s Digest Conference (it’s in NYC by the way)
- A one year subscription to Writer’s Digest Tutorials
- Inspirational Writing (Spiritual/Religious)
- Memoirs/Personal Essay
- Magazine Feature Article
- Genre Short Story (Mystery, Romance, etc.)
- Mainstream/Literary Short Story
- Rhyming Poetry
- Non-rhyming Poetry
- Script (Stage Play or Television/Movie Script)
- Children’s/Young Adult Fiction
How to Enter:
You can enter online or by regular post mail. They do have strict guidelines for submitting, especially when it is by mail. So you’ll want to go to their website for full details (don’t worry I’ll post a link to it for you).
There is going to be a submission fee for entering:
Early-Bird Deadline: May 4, 2018
- Poetry entry—$20 for the first entry; $15 for each additional poetry entry.
- Manuscript entry—$30 for the first entry; $25 for each additional manuscript entry.
Deadline: June 1, 2018
- Poetry entry—$25 for the first entry; $20 for each additional poetry entry.
- Manuscript entry—$35 for the first entry; $30 for each additional manuscript entry.
Don’t go over the word count set for each category. If you do go over the limit you will be disqualified!
Here is the link to the competitions homepage: Writer’s Digest 87th Annual Writing Competition Home page
There are additional links at the bottom of the homepage for more information on the application process, FAQ, etc. that you can check out. I just wanted to highlight the big ones for you.
For those of you who enter, I wish you the best of luck!
Until next week!