As promised, here’s what you need to know about this year’s writing competition. In the words of Writer’s Digest:
Writer’s Digest has been shining a spotlight on up and coming writers in all genres through its Annual Writing Competition for more than 80 years. Enter our 89th Annual Writing Competition for your chance to win and have your work be seen by editors and agents! Almost 500 winners will be chosen. The top winning entries of this writing contest will also be on display in the 89th Annual Writer’s Digest Competition Collection.
The deadline is June 5, 2020!
How to Enter:
All of your submissions must be submitted online and in English. There is no snail mailing it in as they have offered in the past. They’re also looking for works that have not been published before. However, that comes with the exception of self-published works like blogs or social media posts.
Don’t go over the word count for each category. If you do go over the limit, you will be disqualified!
There is also going to be a submission fee for entering:
Early-Bird Deadline: May 4, 2020
- Poetry entry—$20 for the first entry; $15 for each additional poetry entry.
- Manuscript entry—$30 for the first entry; $25 for each additional manuscript entry.
Deadline: June 5, 2020
- Poetry entry—$25 for the first entry; $20 for each additional poetry entry.
- Manuscript entry—$35 for the first entry; $30 for each additional manuscript entry.
There are additional links on the competition’s homepage for more information on the application process, FAQ, submission guidelines, etc. I just wanted to highlight the big ones for you.
The Grand Prize:
- $5,000 in cash
- An interview with the author in Writer’s Digest
- A paid trip to the Writer’s Digest Annual Conference, including a coveted Pitch Slam slot
- and more
There will also be prizes award to those coming in first through tenth place in each category. Honorable mentions also receive benefits.
- Memoirs/Personal Essay
- Print or Online Article
- Genre Short Story (Mystery, Romance, etc.)
- Mainstream/Literary Short Story
- Rhyming Poetry
- Non-rhyming Poetry
- Script (Stage Play/Television/Movie Script/Short Film)
- Children’s/Young Adult Fiction
Writer’s Digest has made it available to those wishing to participate in the competition to receive email reminders about deadlines, other competitions, and winners. The sign up for that is at the bottom of the page.
For those of you who are planning to enter, I wish you the best of luck!
Also, if there is an exciting writing competition that you know about and that I might not, please let me know! That way, I can share it with everyone.
Until next time!