Beacon Press is an established publisher of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. However, they only accept direct submissions of nonfiction proposals. Works of fiction, poetry, and self-help will not be considered.
Beacon Press has published several bestsellers and seminal works, and they have published many respected authors, including James Baldwin, Martin Luther King Jr, and Mary Oliver. They are a department of the Unitarian Universalist Association and have excellent distribution.
Their current program emphasizes religion, history, current affairs, political science, LGTBQ studies, education, African-American studies, women’s studies, child and family issues, nature, and the environment.
The mission of Beacon Press is to affirm and promote these principles:
- the inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- acceptance of one another;
- a free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- the right of conscience and the use of the democratic process in society;
- the goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- respect for the interdependent web of all existence;
- and the importance of literature and the arts in democratic life.
You can learn more about what they publish by accessing their list on the upper left corner of the banner. Please do not submit to them unless your work seems like a good fit.
How to Submit to Beacon Press
Here’s what you need to know about submitting to Beacon Press:
- All queries should be sent via email. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Queries should be no longer than 250 words in length.
They will respond to you within three weeks if they want to read your full proposal.
To learn more or to submit, click here.
Good luck to all of you who choose to submit. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.
And if you are accepted, please let me know! I’d love to read your work and pass it along to a friend.
Want more publishing opportunities delivered straight to your inbox? Then please consider signing up for my weekly newsletter!
Stay safe, everyone.
Until next time.